I have at all times been a fan of moist orange desserts, the kind made with floor almonds or semolina. My solely challenge with them is that they embody a protracted interval of boiling the fruit to cut back the bitterness.
This model removes the necessity for that step, however nonetheless produces a splendidly moist cake with simply the appropriate steadiness between bitter and candy. Impressively, the batter for this can be made in roughly 60 seconds.
Prep time: 5 minutes, plus cooling time
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 500g unwaxed clementines
- 8 massive eggs
- 350g floor almonds
- 300g golden caster sugar
- ¾ tsp wonderful sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp flaked (sliced) almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gasoline mark 4. Frivolously grease a 23 x 33cm baking tin and line with a big single sheet of parchment paper that totally covers each base and sides.
- Peel half the clementines and discard the peel; go away the remaining clementines with the peel intact. Lower all of the fruit into quarters and take away any seeds (there received’t usually be any, nevertheless it’s value checking). Place in a meals processor fitted with the blade attachment and course of for 45 seconds, or till easy. Add the eggs, floor almonds, sugar, salt and vanilla and course of for an additional 15 seconds, till a easy batter kinds.
- Pour the batter into the ready tin and unfold evenly. Scatter the flaked almonds excessive, then bake for 35-40 minutes, or till the cake feels agency to the contact. Switch to a wire rack and let it cool utterly within the tin. As soon as the cake has cooled, use the parchment to fastidiously elevate it from the tin to a serving platter. Lower into slices and serve with additional clementine segments and a dollop of very evenly sweetened whipped cream.
- Saved in a sealed container, this moist cake will maintain for 3 to 4 days.
Recipe from One Tin Bakes Straightforward by Edd Kimber is revealed by Kyle Books (£17.99). Order your copy from the Telegraph Bookshop.