I not too long ago visited New Orleans with my fishing buddy Robin Hutson, and the journey jogged my memory of a restaurant there known as Herbsaint, the place I ate a incredible duck hash years in the past.
I’ve recreated it a number of instances since then. You need to use recent duck legs and gradual cook dinner or confit them, as I do right here, or alternatively use a can of duck confit out of your larder, or any turkey or goose trimmings left as soon as Christmas Day has handed.
Prep time: half-hour, plus chilling time
Cook dinner time: 2 hours
- 2 giant or 4 small duck legs
- 300g goose or duck fats
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- just a few thyme sprigs
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 350g medium potatoes, boiled of their skins, peeled and lower into tough chunks
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- oil, for cooking
- 4 duck eggs
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- ½ tbsp purple wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Preheat the oven to 175C/155C fan/fuel mark 3½.
2. Put the duck legs in a tight-fitting pan with the goose or duck fats, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns. Add a teaspoon of sea salt, cowl with a lid or foil and cook dinner within the oven for about an hour and a half, or till the meat is comfortable and coming away from the bone. Go away the fats to chill a little bit and pressure right into a container or preserving jar – you’ll want some for this recipe and might retailer the remainder within the fridge to make use of for roasting potatoes.
3. Take a spoonful or so of the duck fats and fry the onions in a thick-bottomed pan with the lid on for 5-6 minutes, till they’re comfortable, stirring often. Then take away the lid and switch up the warmth to present them a little bit color. Tip right into a mixing bowl.
4. Warmth some extra duck fats within the pan till it is rather sizzling and cook dinner the potatoes till they’re frivolously colored, then add them to the onions.
5. Take away the meat from the duck legs and lower into chunks, together with the pores and skin, about the identical dimension because the potatoes. Add to the bowl with the potatoes and onion, and blend nicely together with your arms to crush the potatoes a little bit. Season and add the Worcestershire sauce to style.
6. Mould the combination into 4 flat, roughly 8cm truffles, with the assistance of a stainless-steel mould or simply by hand utilizing a palette knife, then refrigerate on a tray for a few hours or in a single day.
7. To cook dinner, warmth some oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook dinner the truffles for about 3-4 minutes on either side till golden and crisp. Hold them heat within the oven as soon as they’re cooked.
8. Whisk the sauce components collectively and dilute with a little bit water for those who like.
9. When the hashes are cooked, fry 4 duck eggs to your liking, switch the hashes to heat plates and slide a fried egg on to every one. Spoon the sauce round and serve.